Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dad's Monster Book

In 2005 I was given a very special present from my oldest son for Father’s Day. The gift was a 12”x9” spiral bound sketch diary filled with 30 different drawings of monsters and mayhem.

The book was appropriately titled “Dad’s Monster Book.”

It is so very easy to dismiss a child’s piece of artwork but if you stop for a moment and take a close look you will discover so many wonderful ideas that our adult brains couldn’t even start to conceive. A child’s interpretation of the world is fascinating and very telling. Not sure I want to know what “Dad’s Monster Book” says about my son or me for that matter.

Drawing monsters is nothing new to my boys, since they could first hold a crayon I’ve been deluged with drawings of skeletons, bats and graveyards.

Am I proud?

Hell yes!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is indeed a very special present. Wierdo is my favorite :)

STOLLOWEEN said...

Thank you...I like Wierdo also, original and sort of sums it all up

Melissa Valeriote said...

A MASTERPIECE! What a wonderful and thoughtful gift from your son.

~CRUNCHBERRYS MOM~ said...

this is the kind of gift that keeps on giving, a family treasure for sure!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin