Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8


Anybody that is friends with me on Facebook knows that I've been eagerly awaiting this film all year, any movie that pays homage to the Amblin Entertainment era of Spielberg and company has to be good right?


Well I saw the movie this afternoon and....


Super 8 is a combination of Close Encounters, E.T., The Goonies, The Iron Giant and a dash of District 9.


I liked this film a lot but I can't say that I loved it.


The only thing that kept me from loving the film was the feeling they were trying a little too hard to make it feel nostalgic, it is a really great film being emotional, tender, exciting and in a couple places very scary.


I actually enjoyed the first third of the film that dealt with the characters more than the later monster/sci fi aspect. 


The cast was perfect and the production design was dead on plus it had a rock'n soundtrack featuring The Knack, ELO other great songs from the late 70's.


The friendships in portrayed in the film rang true and even though I was aware they were trying to make me long for 1979 I did feel a tinge of my childhood.


The film works and is easily one of the best summer offerings in a long time.


I so wanted to be blown away but in the end I can only say I really enjoyed and respect Super 8.


I'm also thinking that the phrase "Mint" is going to be very popular this summer. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin