Friday, January 30, 2009

Career Version 2.0


Eight years ago I took on the toughest job I have ever had, the job of being a stay-at-home Dad for my two young sons. After sixteen years of working as a video producer creating instructional and marketing programs for major corporations my daily routine was now to make breakfast, lunch and dinner, go to the playground, grocery shop, do laundry and clean the house.

The decision was mutual between my wife and me based on the fact that we were spending a fortune on daycare and our daily schedule was beyond hectic.

The stay-at-home gig was tough and I’ll say right now you should call up everyone you know that stays home to take care of their children and give them a big pat on the back. The job is physically exhausting, mentally draining and the biggest kicker is when someone comments on how you don’t work. Geez thanks.

The last eight years I have continued to keep my hand in video production by accepting freelance scriptwriting, graphic design and producing assignments.

As my kids entered elementary school I got very involved in PTO, organizing carnivals, creating fundraisers, designing posters and volunteering in the classroom. Involvement in kid's education was a great experience, extremely rewarding and something I would suggest to any parent if they have the opportunity and the means.

The last several years I have enjoyed the chance to explore the realm of papier mache, experimenting with different techniques and materials, teaching workshops and giving live demonstrations.
The creative exploration has been extremely rewarding and something I will continue to pursue, hopefully becoming more skilled and proficient but the reality of staying at home making Halloween props out of paper and glue is that it doesn’t pay the bills.

Many people have offered many suggestions as to what I should do next. The ideas have ranged from writing a papier mache book, doing commission artwork to teaching papier mache classes. Great ideas and all things that I will continue to pursue but these concepts are “shot in the dark” dreams in regards to producing an income that will put food on the table, pay the mortgage and send my kids to college.

What is the point of this post? Simply to make anyone that happens to come across this aware of the fact that I’m looking for a new career opportunity. This website illustrates what I’m capable of with papier mache and my
resume detailing my video production experience is posted.
Six degrees of separation baby!

If you know of anyone that is in need of a television producing and/or papier mache prop making dude then please point them in my direction…if you do I’ll buy you a beer and that’s a promise.

Thanks,

Scott

1 comment:

RahneFan said...

I only have my two on the weekends and think it's way too hard most of the time, even though I adore them! Doing it full time with no break? Uh-uh. You're a special dude, dude. The hat is off. Good luck with the job hunt.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin