After my last Frog Workshop class I had quite a bit of clay left over that needed to be used otherwise it would have to be tossed so I decided to make some improvements/modifications to my Sentinels that were created last Spring for The Mad Lab.
The Sentinels were somewhat unfinished still needing some additional detailing on the face, ribs, hands and wings plus I really wanted to use monster mud on the fabric to accentuate the draping and appear stone-like. The final paint job on the two pieces was also less than great so improvements were definitely in order.
First I removed the fabric shrouds and used my papier mache clay to bulk up the shoulder and ribcage and gave them some additional texture.
Additional clay was also added to the skulls essentially adding some width around the eye sockets.
A cookie press was used to add veins to the wings. The addition of veining to the wings really added some interest and gave the pieces some much needed visual flow and continuity, the wings now appear to be flowing from the body, they look like they belong on the statues.
Note: The aluminum can positioned between the skull and wing in the photos is a temporary support for the wing so it dries
Some more clay was applied to the joints and hands mostly for strength.
The next step will be to add fabric that has been coated with monster mud and draped onto the statues creating a heavy looking hood and robe.
The plan is also to add some twisted vines to the base of each Sentinel making them appear as if they have been overtaken by nature.
Post a Comment