Thursday, July 23, 2009

Q&A: Cracking Clay


Questions regarding my projects and papier mache regularly fill my mailbox. In an effort to answer these questions and share information some of these questions will be regularly featured on this blog.

Judy wrote:

“I tried to make your clay, but it came out runny. It wasn't thick enough to roll out at all. I am wondering if while adding the cornstarch if I need to keep it on the heat? I don't know what else I may have done wrong.

Maybe you can give me some hints..?
"

Unfortunately I mix up mache recipes the same way I cook and that’s to never measure anything and keep adding ingredients until it works.

My guess on the cracking clay recipe is that it was a combination of heat and lack of cornstarch. When making cornstarch based clays the heat will cause the mixture to congeal, the clay almost takes on a gel type of quality.

The mixture needs to stay on the heat until it congeals, if it’s not happening try adding some more cornstarch. The paste and clay recipes I use are based on a lot of trial and error so you may have to experiment a little to make it work.

Here’s the link to the Ancient Skull tutorial which uses the cracking clay.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin