Thursday, March 24, 2011

For The Love Of Giger

My previous post touched on my fondness for the science fiction/horror genre, I love science fiction and I love horror so when you combine the two you are going to get something great right?

Sort of like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

On this blog I’ve rambled about some of my favorite films and favorite books which leads me to another genre, the film companion book.

I love these things whether they are movie novels or “making of” books.

Big or small I have gotten quite a collection over the years starting with the movie ALIEN.

A few weeks after seeing ALIEN in the theater I bought what would be the first of many film related books.

Here are “The Book of ALIEN” and the “ALIEN Movie Novel” both from 1979 and both are well worn from hours of staring at each still and production photo.

Back in 1979 there was no instant gratification in terms of films, I mean once you saw the film that was it, you couldn’t search the internet, pop in a DVD or browse Netflix.

These books were the only way to revisit the movie short of seeing it again in the theater and a movie such as ALIEN is always a good place to visit.








3 comments:

The Gill-Man said...

For me, these were ways of experiencing the film...since mom & dad weren't too keen on me watching a rated R flick yet (I was 8 at the time). I spent hours at the bookstore staring at these two publications!

Still, it says a whole lot about that film that, despite the fact that I was exposed to those books, it still thrilled me when I finally saw the movie itself!

STOLLOWEEN said...

I was 15 I believe when I saw this film..I still couldn't drive so I went with one of my friends, their mom came along so we could get into the theater. My parents were not big fans of horror films so this was a huge deal to not only see a horror film but also an R rated film...scared me silly and from that point forward I've been a fan of horror.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Usually this type of sci-fi stuff is not my thing. But I have to say with his work I make an an exception. Always intrigued by his style.

Maybe because for some reason it reminds me a bit of Lovecraft.....to me at least. Don't know for sure.

Very inspiring work. And boy am I jealous of your book collection :)

Cheers!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin